Learning to embrace active aging includes being physically healthy, but it means so much more! It means planning, preparing and making choices on how you age. Aging actively is about your choices, your quality of life – just the way you want it!
Active aging is the belief that a person can truly change the quality of life in later years by being actively engaged in all elements of wellness. Organizations such as the International Council on Active Aging are all working to develop professional tools and resources to assist organizations and individuals on how to actively age.
Seeing older adults and their families struggle is the reason why I am so passionate about active aging.
I’ve sat in hospital conferences – when sons, daughters and their loved one sit in a room with many health professionals – only to be told they can never go home again. The tears, the sadness, the grief – it is profound.
I see children struggling to convince their parents that a move from their home to independent living retirement residence would enhance their quality of life. I see older adults clutching to their home when the home is causing more harm than good anymore.
Sons and daughters I’ve supported while they grieve a parent who passed away because they made a choice to compromise safety to remain ‘independent’.
It is time of all of us be an active participant in our own aging process.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Actively Aging can mean you…· are an active participant in your choices for aging
· understand age in place opportunities
· choose the community you live in that supports easy access to services
· actively plan for unexpected health changes
· seek out social opportunities to stay engaged
· plan and arrange your home to promote healthy aging
· educate yourself about resources to assist you in the future
· work to maintain your health
Choosing to actively age can take on many forms. At the root, it’s about being responsible and proactive. It’s about always learning and always evolving. It’s about choices.
5 Benefits of Embracing Active Aging1. You’ll feel more educated about options for your wellness, health and quality of life
2. You will be aware of how your home can help or hinder your aging process
3. You’ll discover how your community and neighborhood can keep you engaged and connected
4. You’ll endeavor to keep moving and keep active
5. Your quality of life will be improved as you’ll be living life on your terms.
It’s never too late to start aging actively. The Edmonton55 Resource Library can assist with finding many services and support options for you.
Signing up for our newsletter will keep you linked to social opportunities, health education and opportunities to participate in your community. You are in control of all your choices. I want to see your succeed, we are on this journey together!