Are you overwhelmed by a complex system of health & housing options? Are you not sure of what happens next for you or your aging loved one?
Edmonton55 is about aging actively – being an active participant in how your health and housing choices influence your aging experience. This website is designed as a resource to help guide you through options so you can embrace the aging experience for yourself and your parents.
Jolyn created Edmonton55 to be your guide to resources for aging well, beginning to downsize, being a caregiver, navigating the system, discovering your age-in-place plan and avoiding social isolation. All the ingredients needed to age actively.
Jolyn is an expert on seniors housing and care options in Edmonton area. Her vast experience in Alberta Health Services home care as a past registered nurse, and seniors housing options in both the non-profit and for-profit sectors assists older adults navigate an often complex system. In order to assist her clientele with full housing needs, Jolyn is also a licensed real estate agent & seniors real estate specialist (SRES®) registered with Schmidt Realty Group Inc in Edmonton Alberta.
My WhyWhen I was studying to be a RN, I had no idea that my life path would direct me into a world of working with older adults. It was a practicum in community health that would eventually lead me to be a Case Manger with Alberta Health Services Homecare Program. Daily I helped seniors and their families navigate the health care system. Years into my career, a chance conversation found me in the world of senior housing, working with a non-profit organization that housed over 465 low income seniors. I joined seniors housing at a time when housing and health services were just starting to be combined in community settings.
After a break to raise a family, I returned to seniors housing, this time in the for-profit sector and opened a brand new state-of-the-art residence. I then decided I could do more. To fully engage in promoting aging-in-place and active aging right when most people are making decisions about future health & housing plans. Every day I’m tired of see caregivers struggle, seeing older adults not getting the right information to make a decision, and watching many who make a choice to do nothing, rather than age actively.
I believe we need to redefine the passive aging experience, and highlight all the great opportunities be active decision makers in our aging experience. Aging-in-place is achievable, when you plan appropriately for it. I hope you’ll join me on this active aging journey!
Upcoming Presentations & Events with Edmonton55· Nov 2 · SAGE Seniors Health & Wellness Forum 9am-2pm
· Nov 8 · Edmonton Seniors Centre · Understand Housing Options as We Age 1pm
· Nov 15 · Millwoods Seniors Association · 10 Ways to Keep Connected in the Community 1pm
· Nov 21 · McConachie Gardens · Thinking about the Future? Plan Today! Age on Your Own Terms 10am
· Nov 28 · Southeast Edmonton Seniors Association · Transitions : Moving Out of Your Home 1:30pm
· Jan 14 · Southwest Edmonton Seniors Association · Creating an Aging in Place Plan 9:30am
· Feb 10 · St. Albert Seniors Association · 10 Ways to Keep Connected in the Community 10:00am
· Feb 11 · Southwest Edmonton Seniors Association · Understanding Housing Options as we Age 9:30am
· Feb 25 · St. Albert Seniors Association · Navigating Care Options in Your Home 10:00am
· Mar 3 · St. Albert Seniors Association · Understanding Housing Options as We Age 10:00am
· Mar 9 · St. Albert Seniors Association · Selling Your Last Home for the First Time 10:00am
· Mar 10 · Southwest Edmonton Seniors Association · Real Estate Review : Buying & Selling as we Age 9:30am
· Mar 23 · St. Albert Seniors Association · What You Need to Understand When Buying a Condo 10:00am
· Apr 21 · South East Edmonton Seniors Association · When Your Parents Refuse Help 1:30pm