If you are a caregiver – for any family member or loved one – I would love if you can take a few minutes to complete this caregiver survey from the Family Caregiver Wellness Initiative at Norquest College.
The Family Caregiver Wellness Initiative will help families transition and/or continue into the world of caring for their loved ones. Over 25% of all adults are recognized as family caregivers and of those, 20% seek assistance (*1, *2). Current research shows that as people age, they prefer to stay in their home surrounded by loved ones, familiar surroundings and their belongings. This enhances their quality of life and it alleviates pressures on the health system. Families are an integral part of the care team; however, most do not have the necessary resources to care for someone they love (*3).
When I had chatted with Nicola, I was impressed with the overall vision of education for family care partners. This program will be a first of it’s kind with flexible programing and scheduling opportunities.
The Family Caregiver Wellness Initiative will support family members by empowering them with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to care for their loved one. This program is not meant to displace home care services nor to overburden the caregiver.
Program Highlights at Family Caregiver Wellness Initiative at Norquest College· A suite of face-to-face workshops, videos, and online modules developed for family caregivers. Current curriculum (ie. HCA, PN, Mental Health) has been leveraged to meet the learning needs of family caregivers.
· Held in a living lab simulating an apartment, NorQuest College high fidelity simulation (Olson Health Simulation Centre) and virtual reality will be used to provide hands-on practice.
· Utilizing NorQuest College’s recognized programming for seniors, which includes health and wellness and inter-generational activities while allowing caregivers an opportunity to take a break, to learn and to develop a supportive network.
· Providing consultation services for families including navigation and holistic home design.
· A showcase of current and relevant technologies relevant to seniors care.
This project is expected to get started this fall 2019!
To get started, NorQuest College has developed a survey and is hopeful for caregiver input. It will only take approximately 10 minutes of your time, but your input will be invaluable with the team developing this very special program. You can find the survey link here:
The caregiver survey is anonymous and does not collect any biographical data. The survey will be used to help guide NorQuest College in the development of educational workshops and supports for informal caregivers. The survey link will remain active until the end of August 2019.
For more information about the Family Caregiver Wellness Initiative, please contact Dustin or Allison at Health@norquest.ca or call 1-866-534-6480.
I’m delighted to be a partner in supporting this initiative as it comes to life.
1. NA. 2019. About Caregiving. Caregivers Alberta. Accessed June 27, 2019. Retrieved from here.
2. Walsh, C., et al. 2019. Towards Social Services System Integration: A Report from Alberta’s Elder Care Support Provision Community. University of Calgary. Accessed June 27, 2019. Retrieved from here
3. Postl, B. et al. 2011. Canadian Institute for Health Information. 2011. Health Care in Canada, 2011: A Focus on Seniors and Aging. Accessed June 27, 2019. Retrieved from here