Booking a winter stay can be a great way to test out retirement living with a short term rental. Being able to keep your home and return after your stay is a benefit that many enjoy!
Many retirement residences such as Chartwell and Revera offer winter stays, a short term rental during the winter months. You have your own suite and you can enjoy the meals and amenities that the residence offers. You also benefit from meeting and mingling with the residents in the coziness of the building through the winter. When your 2, 3 or 4 month stay is over, you simply return home.
3 Reasons to Book a Winter Stay
- Avoid isolation of winter. Winter stays can be a great option for older adults who feel isolated during the winter months in their own neighbourhood. While staying at a residence, you can enjoy the activities and camaraderie of being with others.
- Caregiver not available. These short term rentals are also a great option for older adults when their family are travelling or not available due to surgery. When we rely on others it can be difficult when that person is unexpectedly away or detained and unable to help us. A winter stay can be a great way to receive meals, housekeeping support and easy access to appointments when a caregiver isn’t readily available.
- Try out retirement living. If you are wondering if you would like living in a retirement living residence, then booking a winter stay allows you to ‘try it out’ without selling your home or officially making a move. If you like it, then preparing to sell your home as winter ends makes great sense.
How to Choose the Best Option for You
- Do your research on the building. Make sure it is a retirement residence you would consider in the future, even if you aren’t planning to move. If you are going to make friends and connections, you want to become familiar with a residence that you may move to in the future.
- Ask about promotions. Many retirement residences with offer some great promotional rates for these short term rentals. If this will be a short term stay, a promotional rate that applies to your stay makes the most sense. If you are considering moving in after winter, then you may find the promotional rates for converting to a suite commitment may be more in your flavor.
- Furnished or unfurnished. Do you want the simplicity of a hotel like experience for a couple of months? Or would you feel more at home if you could bring your bed, your favourite chair and a couple of other furniture pieces? This is a highly personal choice so do what makes most sense for you and your situation.
- Pick your suite. If you may be moving into this residence, then pick your suite carefully. It is best to move into a suite you would want to live in. Having to do another move to a different suite after your winter stay may be bothersome once you are settled in. If you know you are returning home, then suite size and location may not matter much to you!
A Winter Stay can be a great option for those that either want some extra support over the long winter or want to try out retirement living. Many residences are booking these spaces now. Contact your favourite residence to learn what they are offering as a winter promotion this year.
If you need some help finding the right residence to book your stay at, you can check out my list of Housing Options. I also offer consultations to help you find and select the right residence for your budget and needs.