Elder Dog Edmonton provides services to help older adult dog owners, continue to age in place and care for their pets.
Elder Dog Edmonton is a non-profit national organization dedicated to support older adults and their dogs. There is no cost to their services and senior dog owners are encouraged to pre-register their dogs for future support.
With pre-registration, you’ll be able to arrange feeding and walking assistance when you can no longer manage those tasks. They will also find temporary home for the dog while you go into hospital or need to recover during illness. Should you have to leave your home for a higher level of care, they will find someone to love and adopt your pet.
Seniors that Elder Dog Edmonton work with:
- typically live at home with a canine companion
- have a strong desire to maintain a close relationship with their canine companion
- do not have a support system who can help with dog care
- may face health and/or mobility challenges
- have financial and/or physical challenges providing routine daily care (e.g., feeding, health care, exercise) for their canine companion
- need dog care assistance in order to stay with their canine companions at home
- may have plans or need to move to a short- or long-term care facility
- may need help with long-term and perpetual care planning for canine companions
If you have a support system who can assist you to care for your dog, then read this article : Age in Place Plans for Pets.
If you love your pet, and know you do not have a support system to help you care for your pet, then contact Elder Dog Edmonton to pre-register your dog. That way, when you need care, you’ll be able to have helpful volunteers assist you with care of your dog.
Volunteer opportunities also exist for those who would like to walk a dog. Connect with the Elder Dog team to learn more.
Knowing these service providers who can assist you with pet care is vital in creating an age in place plan that keeps your pet in mind too!