The Edmonton Home Support Program helps older adults find safe companies to assist with odd jobs around the house. With winter hopefully behind us, many are starting to explore options for lawn care. If you haven’t had to use a lawn service before, it can be hard to decide on the right business to help you.
It can be scary to call up companies and know if you’re getting a reliable service professional. It can be hard to know if you are paying a fair price when you haven’t used that service before. The support teams at the Edmonton Home Support Program can be of help in your search for reliable services.
The Seniors Home Supports Program is a referral service that gives Edmonton seniors referrals to screened service providers who offer snow removal, yard help, housekeeping or minor home repair services.The Edmonton Home Support Program staff recruit and screen service providers to ensure they are suitable for working with older adults. They do criminal record checks, review insurance and business licenses and require references. They then refer 3 service providers to seniors who request referrals to services.
The Seniors Home Supports Program has offices in six different areas of Edmonton. You can find which office to call based on your postal code at the link. Those outside of Edmonton can call your local FCSS (Family Community Support Service) office to receive these same programs. Some services you can ask for referrals for include:
- Snow Removal: remove snow and put down anti-slip material to cover icy spots (not chipping ice)
- Yard Help: mow lawn and do spring/fall clean-up including tree removal, trimming, etc. and gate, sidewalk and concrete repairs
- Housekeeping: vacuum, wash floors, clean bathrooms, do laundry, dust, clean the fridge
- Home Repair and Maintenance: includes minor repair, electrical, pluming, painting, furnace, appliance repair, handyman, roofing/eavestrough, deck and railing repairs, window cleaning (not major renovations)
- Personal Services: includes hair care, foot care, medi-alert, home and respite care (personal care, homemaking, nursing care, companionship, accompanied transportation)
- Moving Help: organizing, junk removal, downsizing
If you are finding taking care of the yard or home getting too hard, give the Edmonton Home Support Program a call. A large part of staying independent in your home is asking for help when needed. These services are here to support you and I hope you’ll make good use of them. You can find additional resources and support on the Edmonton55 Resource Page.